There were originally five pubs in Limpsfield but only one now remains. That is The Bull Inn halfway down the high street on the east side. The Bull was built in the 17th century with 19th century additions. It is timber framed and tile hung. Until the 18th Century, it was called “The Chequers”.
The Coach & Horses/ Lord Rodney was situated up the track opposite Sylvan Close. It was built in the 1740s but may have existed at an earlier date. It was renamed the “Lord Rodney” or possibly the “Rodney’s Head” from about 1780 to 1848 when it reverted to its original name. After the freehold was sold to a Croydon brewery company to pay the Squire’s death duties, it again became the “Lord Rodney” at the turn of the 20th century. It was sold off in 1926 and converted into two private residences.
The Plumbers Arms was on the corner of Pebble Hill / the A25 and Wolf’s row. It was demolished in the 1960s when the A25 was widened. Part of the building dated from the 17th century. In 1862 there was a plumber’s shop at the back, hence the name.
The White Hart was on west side of the High Street, now a private dwelling called White Hart House. The building is 16th century, with some 17th century features. When alterations were made to the house, rafters of the roof were coated with soot as if they had formed the roof of a mediaeval hall, in which an open fire burned on a central hearth. It remained a pub until the early years of the 19th Century when it became a private house.
The New Inn was located in the house which stands at the top of Pebble Hill next to the car park for Limpsfield School. It had already ceased being a pub by the end of the 18th Century. Pre-Victorian pubs did not have bars thrown out, but customers sat in rooms and were served by the landlord where they sat
Research and information by John Tolley, as part of our preparation for The Limpsfield Way information boards.